3 day drawing course
Sunday 1st May - Tuesday May 2022
While out hiking myself recently, I came up with this course as a way to get people more immersed in their surroundings, rather relying on screens for memories. I find that I remember far more of the small details recalling memories of the places I have found myself in if I sit and sketch. Often finding myself tired of impersonal photos, screens, electronics, it genuinely saddens me to see people travel only to stop and admire something for long enough to get a photograph. I want to get back to basics! And I'm sure there are others out there that feel the same.
Join me for a three-day guided walk along one of New Zealand's famous Great Walks, The Routeburn Track. A 33km point-to-point tramping track in the magnificent Mount Aspiring National Park.
$700pp - this includes accomodation at two DOC huts, evening meals, drawing materials, a Moleskin sketchbook to take home with your memories & transport back to the track start.
Each day will involve multiple stops for drawing classes, exploring materials such as Graphite, Charcoal, Ink, Collage, Printmaking and Watercolour to name a few! My emphasis is on guiding students towards styles that they can really connect to and further develop in their own practice.
Hikers must be of intermediate fitness and able to carry at least 15-20kg comfortably.
For more information and advice on the track visit the New Zealand Department of Conservation site.
COVID-19 vaccine passes will required for DOC huts, campsites, lodges and other sole occupancy facilities, Great Walk huts and campsites, camping by huts, use of DOC hut or campsite facilities by day visitors (except for toilets).
Day 1 - 9km walk (3-4hrs) to the Routeburn Falls Hut (where we will sleep for the night)
- 10am: Meet at the track start, introductions & safety briefing.
- Lunch stop and afternoon drawing class
- Arrive at Routeburn Falls Hut
- Evening Drawing Class
- Dinner (provided) & games
Day 2 - 11.3km walk (4.5-6hrs) Routeburn Falls Hut to Lake Mackenzie Hut
- breakfast at Routeburn Falls Hut
- Lunch stop and afternoon drawing class at Harris Saddle Hut
- Arrive at Lake Mackenzie Hut, opportunity for swimming.
- 7pm Talk from the DOC Warden
- Opportunity for night drawing class
Day 3 - 12km walk (4-5hrs) Lake Mackenzie Hut to The Divide
- Morning drawing class at Earland Falls
- Arrive at The Divide for arranged transport back to the track start (325km drive)
To book your spot, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org